Friday, August 03, 2007

Thank Goodness for Missed Experiences

The collapse of this bridge inspires awe. We just don’t expect structures to behave like that. And obviously commuters don’t expect to find themselves suddenly dropping sixty feet into the Mississippi.

I was in Minneapolis in May but I never went over that bridge. This, fortunately, removes me from the ranks of the armchair pundits and prophets. If I want attention, however, I’ll have to change my story so I can become a sort of long-distance victim/expert, the “jeez, good thing I didn’t go there in JULY!” or “I drove over that thing and it seemed so UNSTABLE!” sort of person.

We haven't had a nice vicarious long-distance suffering since the last school shooting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the more PC term was red-neck? And what do you call the slow-witted hooch-swillers who live up the Appalachian(sic?) mountains? They have a term for them too right? I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE wrestling. Does that qualify me as trash? :-0